BMT Asset Performance offers support to clients throughout a Nuclear (or non-Nuclear) project lifecycle, from concept and initial development through to implementation in service and termination following decommissioning. We have experience of design and delivery of through life support solutions, conducting analysis of operating, maintenance, event and incident data, performing safety assessments, and preparing safety cases at an equipment up to a full platform-level case.
We employ professionally qualified and experienced safety practitioners within the field of underwater systems; a significant number of our staff are Nuclear Suitably Qualified and Experienced Persons (NSQEP) who have served as Royal Navy submarine nuclear plant supervisors and operator technicians. Between them, they have over 100 years of operating experience across different submarine classes and nuclear plant types.
Some of our NSQEPs are former submarine Marine Engineer Officers whose non-submarine appointments have included the development of platform-level safety cases, the interpretation and application of MOD Nuclear Authorisation (Licence) Conditions, inspection of Duty Holders’ compliance with the conditions and the conduct of emergency planning activities, including exercises. We also have Functional and Software Safety practitioners qualified up to PhD level with significant experience in the assessment and substantiation of safety systems, in particular the software aspects of programmable systems and the broader aspects of safety substantiation.
Some of our key capabilities include:
- Through-life Support Engineering
- Obsolescence Management (OM)
- Independent Safety Advice and Independent Nuclear Advice and Assessment
- Provision of advice on nuclear-powered submarine design, commissioning, operation, maintenance and decommissioning
- Safety Case preparation and management to meet the requirements of Regulatory Bodies
- Safety support to Licensed and Authorised Site Operators
- Nuclear Safety Support in Life Extension including management of Aging and Obsolescence
- Development and implementation of safety and environmental management systems
- Identification of safety related hazards and environmental aspects, using established processes (HAZOP, HAZAN, SWIFT etc) for platform and/or equipment projects
- Application of deterministic or probabilistic tools and techniques (FMEA/FMECA, FTA, ETA, Bowtie, etc)
- Environmental Advice and Materials Management
- Support in Emergency response planning
Projects we have worked on include:
- Astute Class Obsolescence Management Strategy and Plan
- Provision of a concept and design service to support the Submarine Combat System Design Evolution Team
- Nuclear Safety Business Improvement for Licensed Sites
- Submarine platform Life Extension
- Submarine platform and nuclear site safety justifications
- Dreadnought Class submarine safety and environmental support
- Independent nuclear assurance and advice to submarine platform groups and Licensed and Authorised sites